We believe that every writer should have access to the best advice, tools and opportunities to take their writing further, and we’re working to ensure that we do our bit to make that possible.
That’s why we always offer bursary opportunities to under-represented writers where we can.
During our Summer Festival of Writing, we provided over 30 bursary places giving free access to over 100+ live online events to writers across the world. Some of these were funded by our generous speakers, including Clare Mackintosh, Neil Gaiman, and Chris Riddell.
We’re very proud to be able to offer bursary places to our incredible Self-Editing Your Novel Course with Debi Alper. Our very first recipient of this bursary went on to secure a two-book deal with Bookouture.
We post all bursary opportunities here, as and when they arise. So be sure to check for updates regularly.
Current Bursary Opportunities
We’re always adding new bursary opportunities to help under-represented writers access the courses, tools, and advice they need to take their writing forward. Take a look below for current opportunities.
Summer Festival of Writing bursary
This year, we’re pleased to be able to provide 30 free tickets to our Summer Festival of Writing, our biggest online writing event of the year.
The Summer Festival of Writing bursary is now closed. Successful applicants will hear from us by Friday, 28th May.
Self-Edit Your Novel Course
With thanks to tutors Debi Alper and Emma Darwin, we’re able to offer a fully-funded place for an under-represented writer on our most popular tutored course – ‘Self Edit Your Novel.
This six-week online course will give you all the self-editing skills you need to ensure your novel is as good as it can get, before pitching to agents, or self-publishing with confidence.
Every applicant for the Self-Edit Your Novel Course bursary will also be considered for a free annual membership to Jericho Writers!
We give out a minimum of three free memberships for each bursary course application – that’s a total of twelve free memberships – each year.
Previous alumni averaged an impressive 1-in-4 publication rate. Excited? Get your application in now.
2021 Course Dates
This online course runs four times a year and we take bursary submission applications throughout.
Course start date: 21 September, 2021.
Bursary application deadline: 1 September, 2021.
1-in-4 Self-Edit Alumni are now published.
Will you be next?
To apply for a bursary place on this course, you must:
- Have a finished draft of a novel. This can be in any genre, for any age group. It can be a first draft, or a tenth!
- Be available for the dates included in the six-week ‘Self-Edit Your Novel’ course. If you are not available this quarter, please wait until submissions open for the next quarter to apply for the following course.
- Be an under-represented writer.
We describe an under-represented writer as one or more of the following:
- Having a low household income.
- Being black, Asian or from a minority group.
- Being disabled.
- Being a primary carer.
- Being an ex-offender.
Applications will be considered based on both quality and need by the Jericho Writers’ team and course tutors. Applicants will hear back a minimum of seven days before the start date.
Become a Member of Jericho Writers
Writing is hard – don’t do it alone! Our membership package gives you year-round writing support and guidance with video courses, live agent pitch sessions, masterclasses and more.
- Our ‘Getting Published’ video course
- Our ‘How to Write’ video course
- Our ‘Self-Publishing’ video course
- Live literary agent pitch sessions
- ALL our video Masterclasses
- The AgentMatch literary agent database
- Feature films with agents, authors and publishers.
- FREE feedback on your query letter
- PLUS – a 10% discount on tutored courses, editorial services and events