News Feed Forums Coffee & cake Intros and 2024 Goals

• Malina Douglas

7 January 2024 at 14:15

Hi everyone!

I’m currently editing a novel I wrote last year. I’m editing part three of four, and looking for beta readers for part one. It’s literary fantasy set in a secondary world. If anyone is interested, let me know. I will post more about it in the fantasy group.

I’m now writing the first draft of the sequel and flash fiction in between.

• Kelley Watson

8 January 2024 at 02:30

Hello Emily and my fellow writers.

I joined Jericho Writers this past November. I am a writer based in Naples, FL, USA, and not even two months into membership, I believe I have already gotten my money’s worth. What an extraordinary group! The resources are amazing!

This is my year to get published.

I have just finished my factual, fem-centric memoir <i style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>Downwardly
    Mobile/DOMO Drama, a
    “riches to rags” story of the free fall of a well-resourced, highly educated,
    upper middle class Chicago suburban family into near homelessness, through no fault of their own.

DOMO Drama is not a diary: it is cerebral: a data-based documentation of the forces behind the family’s story told through statistics, legislation, and policy; its 55,568 words, 124 footnotes, 61 photos, and 13 maps is relatable and timelier today than when the events occurred.

I am looking for representation and have already approached Jericho Writers talent to guide me in this endeavor.

A productive and prosperous 2024 for all,

Kelley Watson

• Karen Holland

8 January 2024 at 13:44

Hi All,

I joined in December and have had flu since then, so a bit behind with everything!

I am currently re visiting my second book and trying to improve it.

So open to any help I can get and looking forward to being part of Jericho.

Not sure where to start……

Karen

• KIM FIELDS

8 January 2024 at 17:26

Hi Emily and my fellow writers:

My name is Kim and my 2024 goal is to complete my book by the end of the year I have a lot to learn because I don’t know what a beta reader is. This is all new to me; honestly, I have no idea what possessed me to write a book, but here I am and I will stay until the end.

• Phillip Lacy

8 January 2024 at 17:42

Hi everyone,

I’m also new here. I’m working on my second novel, a superhero fantasy-revenge story, although I think that cheapens it a little. It’s not superheroes in the Marvel-DC sense, but in The Boys-Watchmen-Miracleman sense. Realer, more human, less global threat and more personal drama.

My plan is to take it from its current 20,000 words up to 80-90,000, get it beta read and polished, and start querying agents if it’s up to snuff.

I’m looking forward to working with you on your books, and I want your perspectives on mine.

Happy writing!

Phil

• Samantha Pearce

8 January 2024 at 18:32

Hi, I’m Sam and I joined Jericho as a Premium Member at the end of November.

I’m attempting to write my very first novel (a contemporary fantasy titled “The Power Born”) and thought I was doing really well by completing a first draft in August, only to discover that 48k words does not a novel make. So now going through the arduous task of figuring out where I’ve gone wrong and how to double my word count on a story that ‘feels’ finished.

I’ve watched the “How to Write a Novel” video series over the holidays, joined the “Write With Jericho” mini-course, and enrolled myself in a local creative writing course. So I guess my goal for 2024 is to get a novel-length novel written and ready to start publishing😆.

• Tamsyn Kennedy

8 January 2024 at 18:49

Hello everyone, I just joined today so still finding my feet! As a full time working mum often struggle to carve out time for writing.

Last year I finished my second unpublished novel, first fantasy, now SF, and this is the year I am going to get it submitted to agents and publishers. I joined up as paying membership gives me motivation and accountability! I also plan to make use of the courses and services.

Look forward to chatting to you all.

• sharonbairden Bairden

8 January 2024 at 19:31

Hi everyone, I joined Jericho late November last year and I’ve mostly been loitering since then. I (thankfully) achieved my goal of completing draft one of my 3rd book last week – my happy dance was immense as I struggled so much to write this one.

My goals this year are:

To write book 4;

To participate more in JW (I am going to the goal setting event – I am really looking forward to this – I need all the help I can get!)

I am also aiming to submit book 3 (along with books one and two as I have the rights back to them) early this year.

Thanks

Sharon😍

• Alyson Koe

8 January 2024 at 20:43

Hi everyone!

Not a newbie but I have been dormant for a while.

My goal for this year is to kick my first draft into touch. By this time next year I’d love to be researching agents ready to be querying, but who knows? I haven’t found where the plot holes are hiding, or the 20,000 additional words I need to get it up to a reasonable length, so I’m being cautiously optimistic!

Looking forward to Becca’s session on goal setting next week.

• Rod Francis

8 January 2024 at 22:24

For Kim and others who were wondering: a beta reader typically sees your book after the first draft amendments. See attached: ‘How to Beta the System’. Our group, Jericho Wall Betas has recently become a private, so you have to apply to join. Follow the link, find Jericho Wall Betas and click on Request Access:

https://jerichowriters.com/townhouse/groups/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
       Rod Francis.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
       Rod Francis.

Groups

• Caroline Midgley

10 January 2024 at 11:40

Hi all,

I’m also new to Jericho Writers and I’m really looking forward to getting to know my fellow JWs.

I’ve been trying to write a literary/historical novel set in the Welsh pit valleys and rural Herefordshire between the 1880s-1930s – working title, ‘David’s Grandfather’, for about 7yrs. now. I’ve got to around 90,000 words but its no where near there as yet.

One of the main issues I currently have, (apart from lack of time!) is that the story needs to span James’ life from 10yrs to 50ish in a somewhat organised and coherent way – and I’m neither organised or coherent!

However – this weeks Elevator Pitch exercise has been a Eureka moment for me and I’m really excited about getting back on track – fingers crossed!

Happy New Year to all

• Joanna Adam

11 January 2024 at 21:37

Hi there

I am also new to Jericho.

I have finished book one (self-published with KDP), and I am trying to get up and started on book two. I’m finding it hard to get into gear after the holidays and I’m hoping ‘write with Jericho’ will sort me out.

Joanna

• Gareth Wescott

5 February 2024 at 13:13

Howdy All,

Joined last November and been working through a ton of the material on here since. Hoping to get the first draft of my sci-fi novel over the line by April. I’m not sure how long the edit process will take after, but hoping to be at beta reader stage by the end of the year. I have a ton of short stories I want to write aswell, so hopefully will find some time when editing later this year.

Page 2 of 2