News Feed Forums Coffee & cake Intros and 2024 Goals

• Intros and 2024 Goals

Posted by Emily Mitchell on 4 January 2024 at 15:19

Hi all, I hope you’re off to a great start in 2024! We’ve had a lot of new members join us over the past few months so I wanted to do a quick post where people can introduce themselves, tell us a little about their writing and hopeful goals for the year.

I’ll kick us off – I’m Emily and my goal for the year is to get back into writing. It may only be a little, but I’d like to get words on the page again.

Gareth Wescott replied 2 weeks, 4 days ago 28 Members · 29 Replies
  • 29 Replies
  • Katie Day

Administrator
    4 January 2024 at 15:36

Hello hello hello

I’m 40k into a novel I started last year so I want to finish it, ideally in the first half of this year. I’ve also got 2 or 3 short stories knocking around I want to polish off so I have lots to keep me busy.

We have a fab goal setting event coming up soon by the way if anyone is interested. It’s with our Head of Memberships (and author!) Becca Day and I can’t think of a better person to help get our writing year off to a flying start. (Becca is very organised and good at smashing her targets!)

Check it out here: https://jerichowriters.com/events/live-member-events/

Looking forward to hearing everyone else’s goals and how you plan on tackling them in the coming days/weeks/months

• Rod Francis

4 January 2024 at 16:15

I was at about the same stage as Katie, this time last year. Now my novel SKY BLUE PINK, is with Beta readers. I had an early response just before Christmas, and I’ve been fine tuning key characters and some dialogue. Completing the novel to first draft and beyond has been an extraordinary experience. I write satire, so I sit around trying to make myself laugh all day. It’s a lot of fun.

Working with other authors as one of the Organisers for Jericho Wall Betas, has been very valuable. It has helped to put my own writing into perspective. Humour can be a disruptive force in a story, so I’ve kept tight controls on character and language. The feedback has helped me to free up those elements, and develop them in ways I couldn’t have imagined otherwise. Subject to further Beta reports, I’m hoping to submit SKY BLUE PINK to agents soon.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
       Rod Francis.
  • Sophie Flynn

Administrator
    4 January 2024 at 17:08

Hello everyone and welcome! I’m Sophie, I’m the MD here at Jericho and also an author. My gaols this year are to enjoy the publication of my fourth book in May (rather than stressing out about it like I have been so far!) and write the next book in my contract which will be due probably in October and I haven’t written a word of yet… So a busy but fun year ahead 🙂

• Natàlia Prats

5 January 2024 at 11:07

Hello there, Emily and everyone! It’s a pleasure to be here with you all. Right now I am writing a crime novel with an element of fantasy (well, supernatural), and so far I am enjoying it a lot. I have also joined the course that’s starting next Monday, so if you’re participating too I’ll meet you there, and in the Friday Feedback sessions too which is where I mostly participate at the moment -and learning a lot with it. My current goal is to finish the first draft of this story in the next months. Then while it rests a little after the initial editing I’d like to try and rewrite another draft I finished some time ago, which I think will improve the style a lot.

See you around!

• Elisabeth Conway

5 January 2024 at 11:36

Hi Emily & everyone

I finished the draft of the last books in my historical trilogy just before Christmas & am now doing an edit. I aim to have this finished by mid-January, send it out to my Beta readers, do another edit and then get it to the publisher by the end of February.
    I do have ideas for another novel [also HistFic] but am trying not to go there until I’ve put the present one to bed.

• Ben Gould

5 January 2024 at 11:39

Hi everyone! I’m in what are hopefully (please God) the final stages of my romcom novel – I’m rewriting the first few chapters based on beta feedback, then I will seek out a few betas to read them over, they will find them delightful and I will then finally be able to start querying with agents after what feels like forever. Nothing can go wrong now (right…?)

• Doron Volkovich

5 January 2024 at 13:18

Hi Emily & co,

GL HF to you all (That’s how gamers say at beginning of matches, id est Good Luck Have Fun). I probably have a novel length manuscript, I just need to decide when and where to end it, but I’m trying to condense everything into it, and maybe it’s a wee bit too much to tell the truth, but I cannot not (double negative intentional here) divulge into a certain degree of technicality, it’s just me, so maybe it won’t be to everyone’s liking in the end, but hopefully some people will get into my vibe and it will resonate with them sufficiently well. Also it’s my cake day as it’s called on Reddit, commencing my 43rd circle around the Sun today. (Writing in English since I was 14.5 even though it’s not my 1st language, hopefully now it’s becoming more proficient and fluent for native speakers to follow my drift…) 🙂

• Catherine Malli-Dawson

5 January 2024 at 16:01

Hi Everyone,

I’m a sci-fi/fantasy writer and am currently in the last few months of the UNWC Spring cohort. I’ve just finished the first round of full manuscript editing and am getting ready to send it off for a manuscript review. The audience is New Adult, but could go into YA.

I’d love to get some objective reader feedback, even if it’s on the first 10k words.

The log line:

Determined to follow her own path, young Bex is thrust into the middle of a power struggle she knows nothing about, and may well be the key to victory, but for which side?

Please let me know if you’re interested and if you’d like me to reciprocate.

Regards,

Catherine

• Doron Volkovich

6 January 2024 at 23:34

Hi Catherine,

can you send me a link to your stuff or let me know where to find it?

• Ferne Arfin

5 January 2024 at 16:10

Hello everyone,

I’m about 50K into a novel that expect will run to about 80K (in first draft anyway). But I’ve hit a wall at the moment. I write literary or historical/literary fiction. My novel is a kind of coming of age story. It’s call American Landings and it is about four boys who build a plane.

While my wheels are spinning uncreatively, at the moment I’m doing my taxes today (another kind of creative reconstruction, I guess). I do have a couple of short stories I’d love some feedback on though. And I am hoping to be more productive in the near future.

• stuart. Randle

5 January 2024 at 16:28

Hi Emily

I’m currently editing the first draft of my novel ‘Noble Cause’ a crime story with the theme of Noble Cause corruption. I’m still working my way around the Jericho site and have found myself here on the advice of other members. I’m keen to link up with other members happy to read short pieces of my work to help me in the editing phase.

I have limited experience of reading for fellow writers, but always willing to help and learn.

Happy new writing year all.

• Christina Loi

6 January 2024 at 04:23

Hi Emily,

As one of those new members, thank you for starting the round of intros – this site is fantastic but slightly overwhelming to take in all at once.

My goals for this coming year are to overhaul a novel I had on the back burner for over a year while I polished my second one, as well as to start drafting out a new idea I’ve got buzzing around. (Because why be a sensible writer when you can be an overwhelmed one, right??)

In any case, I am excited to make more writing friends, attend events, learn all the things, and maybe-just-maybe get published someday!

Cheers, Christina

• Mark Left

6 January 2024 at 13:08

Hi all,

Another Jericho newbie here. I’ve been writing on and off for years, both short and long form. Always new things to learn (or be reminded of!) and have been exploring some of the brilliant masterclasses.

2024 writing goals are to continue querying agents with the novel I completed in 2023 – sent out a first batch in October, no joy yet so have revamped ready to go again any day now. I’m also 50k into another novel and will be working towards completion of a first draft, in between all the work/house/family stuff!

Good luck to everyone this year.

Regards,

Mark

• Cath Weeks

6 January 2024 at 17:47

Hello everyone

Right, I’ve lurked on here for long enough! I’ve written endless drafts of something that’s too close to me, which means I’ve got in my own way and stopped myself getting any feedback on it… for years. Pure fear.

Now I’m trying an approach that gives me a bit more distance from the subject. My goal is to get this new beast to the stage where I send it off for a manuscript assessment by the end of 2024. I’m saving up for it, and everything.

There. I’ve said it. Now I have to do it.

• Martha Higgins

6 January 2024 at 18:02

Hi Everyone,

This is the year I’d love to have my book published. I’m waiting on Beta readers right now and would love to team up with readers on Jericho. I know I have a lot to do yet.

Martha

• Hailey Willis

7 January 2024 at 02:19

Hello everyone!

I have a couple projects going on. One is my sixth novel manuscript, and my first fantasy. (I write historical and women’s fiction) It is called Before the River Runs Dry, and it is about two elves who are thrust into a mission to save their homeland by healing the Stone that creates the River that protects them from the Dark Lord. I plan to take this project slow and pour into it as much as I can.

The other project is getting my novella, Out of the Dark, ready for publication. Here’s the log line: a destitute Viking girl is rejected by scornful strangers, and must find a way to make them accept her as one of their own. It is the story of the inside, deep, soul-related, of identity, faith, belonging, and integrity. The MS is currently with beta readers, and if anyone’s interested in beta reading, feel free to let me know. I’ve completed one major edit so far.

Happy wordplaying!

Page 1 of 2